Sunday, August 16, 2009


No Bake Cookies—Well, I did my first baking here in Mexico. I guess you can call it that, or maybe not, because I made No Bake Cookies. Because there are no numbers on the dial of my oven and I have never used gas, I refuse to use the oven and so all my baking will be no bake stuff. Anyway the cookies turned out pretty good.
Dad bought a new basketball and has been shooting around to make sure he is ready to keep us with his children and grandchildren when we return. He plays during the hottest part of the day and comes back—I stay here and study—dripping wet. He has lost 15 pounds and is trying for more. He is trying to get rid of the stomach he was acquiring. The men in the ward have asked him to play volleyball with them so he is excited.
It looks like we will have 8 graduates from our English classes ( 5 so far and 3 more next week) that we held this summer. Some others will continue to work on the goals until they have finished. Some of the things that they set as goals were: Memorize, in English, 5 Articles of Faith, be able to carry on 2 different conversations in English, one being a phone call conversation, give a public prayer in English, write English sentences, have good pronunciation on words we introduced, and be able to sing several Hymns in English. We had many other things we worked on, but these were measurable things they had to do.
Attached is a picture of Dad and President Castañeda. President Castañeda said that when Mexico and the U.S. played soccer in Mexico City he wanted to give Dad a buzz if the U.S. lost. Well, the U.S. lost 2-1, and so we took this picture, but it didn’t really happen. Dad still has his hair. He said his head is too ugly to shave. Wow, Monica, what a scare with Nathan getting lost. So glad you found him. Micah and Tiffani we hope you find all well with the Condo and you aren’t too crowded. We wish you the best Micah with the new challenge of finding a job and going to Utah State for your Doctor’s Degree. Sounds like all of you had a fun and busy summer. Next summer we hope to enjoy some of it with each family when we visit. Then we’ll plan on the Murdock and Brooks reunion in 2011. Save some dates for those reunions.
Tonight is our opening social for the Institute new semester classes. Dad and I have been asked to speak, but our names do not appear on the program so I guess we will be ready just in case. Communication, at it’s best, is still not very good.
p.s. We did speak after all. You never know!!
Love
Dad and Mom

No comments: