Sunday, August 9, 2009





Journal August 5, 09
A thief’s Paradise
One night when walking back from Institute we thought about taking a new way back that might be quicker. As we started to turn down the street we both felt like maybe it wasn’t a good idea to go down that street, especially since it was dark. We found out since, that that particular street is a Thief’s Paradise because it is next to a huge field that is covered with tall grass. The thieves hide in the tall grass and then when someone walks by they attack them. There was an article in the paper about it warning the people here to be careful. We were so grateful that we had already received a warning—from the Spirit—and had heeded it. I’m sure we have no idea how many times we have been protected here, but we are grateful for this protection and for all your prayers in our behalf.
I have a mole on the side of my neck that is rather prominent and that I’ve had since birth. Well, suddenly, the other day I noticed that it was growing and getting bigger and changing color. Since that is a sign of something wrong I had Dad look at it and we were both a little concerned. Last night I noticed that it was bleeding so I touched it with a Kleenex and the whole thing fell right off and is gone. It had dried up. It is hard to tell even where it was. What a tender mercy. Who says we, as missionaries, aren’t blessed? Thanks, again for all your prayers. They are still working!!
We have only one more week of summer classes and then we start Institute Classes again for the Fall Semester. We are hoping to teach more English Classes to youth and adult. We have found some successful ways to teach and the students are making progress. Half the battle in teaching English in the Mission Field is finding resources to use in teaching that aren’t copyrighted. The other half of the battle is getting people to stay committed and continue to attend classes. We had one young man receive his certificate last week before he left for college in Vera Cruz. There are at least 4 or 5 others that should finish up their class work by the end of next week and some others that want to continue in the fall. Not a huge harvest, but we are glad for every little success.
I’ve included pictures of Jorge that received his certificate and met the goals we had set for the class, the little car we traveled in to see the animals at the zoo last week end and other pictures taken there, one being the footbridge we crossed to get to the zoològia.
We are excited to get our English Library started and look forward to any English books we receive. Books of Mormon in English would be wonderful too. Easy reading book—beginning levels—are needed.
We love each of you and love hearing about YOUR adventures.
Love,
Dad and Mom

1 comment:

Jill Dees said...

I enjoy your blog. I wonder if I could do it in a strange place like you are. Maybe I should, I would lose a bunch of weight, not sure I could eat the different food! Thanks for letting the kids stay in your house for a time.