Saturday, May 30, 2009


May 26, 2009
Dad is really good now in telling the taxi drivers where to go----when we are returning to our apartment….Hmmmm, I mean that in the nicest sort of way. His direction is---la esquina de Usumacinta and Anacletic Canabal detrás la tienda de Oxxo. Or, in other words, on the corner of Usumacinta and Anaclectic Caníbal - behind the Oxxo Store. Now we need to learn how to say—Down the alley.
The bugs and I play a little game every day during and after preparation of meals. They see if they scurry out quickly and pick up anything I leave behind in the way of food or liquids and get away before I squish them and I try and clean EVERYTHING up before they can smell it—or whatever they do--. It has become a real competition—but you know the Murdock competitive Spirit—I am in the game for all I am worth. I did surprise a cockroach the other day that was foraging around for something to eat so Dad and I both decided at the same time to sing –La Cucaracha, La Cucarach. That scared the cockroach really bad and we have not seen it since.
Heavenly Father must have thought we were not being challenged enough, because we just received a HUGE new challenge. The Temple President called us into his office yesterday and asked if we would be Temple Workers. I never felt it was something I could handle in the states, and suddenly, we are being asked to do something I did not think I could do in English, in Spanish. Who says an old dog can not learn new tricks? If Heavenly Father wants us to do this assignment, we will be able to. Do our experiences seem to be following Grandpa and Grandma Brooks more and more? The Temple President told us our calling had been cleared by the Area Presidency and the Mission President so………more prayers please!!!
Dad and Presidente Castañeda are heading out this afternoon for some training and getting students signed up for next Semester while I teach my English Class. The name of the city is Cunduacan---Lugar de Serpientes-- or Place of the Serpents. I guess there are lots of snakes there and I really do not feel badly about missing the trip. They are not the kind that bite though, just the kind that wrap around you and squeeze you to death. Happy thought!!
In a few weeks we will also be teaching a class in the Perpetual Education Fund –Fundo Perpetuo—to all Seminary Graduates, returned missionaries and those interested in getting a loan from the PEF Fund. It is a 4 week course and we will be teaching it in Spanish. If we do not learn this language it will not be because we have not had opportunities to practice speaking it. We have a copy of the outline in English as well as Spanish, so we are hoping that will help us teach better.
We will also be teaching 6 classes of English each week this summer to Seminary and Institute age students. I guess our summer vacation is out this year.
Presidente Castañeda said the police had a big shoot out and small war by his house this week and many drug runners were killed. He advised us not to walk home after dark so we are trying to leave the office before it gets dark or take a taxi.
We find that it is so hot that for our preservation we often take a taxi during the day too.
…..the ads read…a place in the sun, enjoy the beach, swimming in the blue lagoon, a heavenly paradise. Mexico??? With the temperature today being 107 degrees F-. I do not think so. It did cool down to 90 degrees tonight, but with the humidity it felt like St. George during one of the hottest days in the summer. Everyone here is really feeling the heat. I feel sad for the little children that we see while we are walking. They are beet red and so tired. Everyone arrives at Institute with their shirt plastered to their bodies with sweat—us included—thank goodness for the chance to cool off in our AC rooms and office. I think they are a bit of Heaven. I believe the best time to visit these hot areas of Mexico is during the winter months. Mexico City is much different in climate and much cooler than here.
Dad is well again and raring to go. He is hard to keep up with. He loves to be busy so…….off we go!! He continues to train the missionaries, Bishops, High Council, and Stake Presidents about Chapter 13 in Preach My Gospel and they are really excited about it.
Progress is being made, even though at times we wonder if it is. Our interaction with the students is becoming more comfortable and there are many people here that come up to us and want to talk in English—which we really like--so they can practice what little bit of English they know. They never practice with anyone and so they forget it. If, for no other reason than that, the people here are glad we are here. Any kind of service we can give makes us happy.
We surely do miss and love all of you. We pray for you daily.
Micah, How is the job search? Monica, how about your pre nursing work? All of you keep the Faith.
Love,
Dad and Mom

No comments: